Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Kirsten fans: exhibit The Legend of St. Lucia

  1. #1
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ILLUMINATION OF A SAINT: THE LEGEND OF SANTA LUCIA at the American Swedish Insitute in Minneapolis.

    Nov. 6, 2004 - Jan. 9, 2005 http://www.americanswedishinst.org/exhibits.htm

    If someone goes, please take pictures for me if you are allowed! Kirsten and I would love to go but we are way too far away [img]frown.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    swazini
    Guest swazini's Avatar

    Post

    Robin...maybe I will get a chance to go and I can take pics. I'm not far from the Twin Cities.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    cool! thanks Susan! Kirsten and I are hoping to go to a St. Lucia festival in Boston on Saturday! I'll have my mom take pictures!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would love to see this. Shame our Scandinavian colleagues don't walk the corridors at work with the candles on their head anymore.

    Speaking of Saints. Do you also have the tradition of St. Barbara? 4 December is St. Barbara and we cut branches from trees - preferable cherry or apple - and put them in a vase indoors. When the branches are in full bloom by Christmas Eve, then someone in the family will get married. I also heard that it means health and good luck will be had in the new year. In our family we always looked for the first version.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've never heard of St. Barbara! It sounds very nice! Most non-Scandinavian Americans have never heard of St. Lucia.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lieu2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2003
    Posts
    354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Miki, Can you tell me what is the correct pronounciation of the name Halley. I heard it was a Scandinavian name. Is it Hall Lee, Hay Lee, Hail Lee, or Hal Lee? Thanks. I also never heard of St. Barbara or St. Lucia till I read the Kirsten books.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry lieu, unfortunately I don't speak Swedish or any of the other Scandinavian languages.

    From the quick google I did on the name, I only got information on the Halley comet and its discoverer Edmund Halley, Halley as a family name and twice this information about it as a first name:

    Halley
    Meaning: Manor near the meadow
    Origin: English
    Alternatives: Hally

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Kathrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lieu, I speak (or can at least make my self understood) in all Scandinavian languages, and I'd say that Halley is not Scandinavian, it doesn't fit in with usual spelling rules, the -ey construction seems very English to me, I can't really think of any names or word where we use it.
    Similar names with Scandinavian origin:
    Girls:
    Haline/Halina
    Helle
    Halla
    Hilde/Hilda

    Boys:
    Haldor
    Halfdan
    Halvar
    Helge (Hel-ye)
    Hilmar
    Helmer
    Boys names allowed in Denmark: http://www.km.dk/hyppige_spm/drengenavne.htm#H
    Girls names allowed in Denmark:
    http://www.km.dk/hyppige_spm/pigenavne.htm

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Sandy506's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2004
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    What does this mean, "allowed in Denmanrk?" Are you saying that only names on this list can be registered as legal names in Demnark?

    Sandy
    Originally posted by Kathrine:
    Lieu, I speak (or can at least make my self understood) in all Scandinavian languages, and I'd say that Halley is not Scandinavian, it doesn't fit in with usual spelling rules, the -ey construction seems very English to me, I can't really think of any names or word where we use it.
    Similar names with Scandinavian origin:
    Girls:
    Haline/Halina
    Helle
    Halla
    Hilde/Hilda

    Boys:
    Haldor
    Halfdan
    Halvar
    Helge (Hel-ye)
    Hilmar
    Helmer
    Boys names allowed in Denmark: http://www.km.dk/hyppige_spm/drengenavne.htm#H
    Girls names allowed in Denmark:
    http://www.km.dk/hyppige_spm/pigenavne.htm
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]confused.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    swazini
    Guest swazini's Avatar

    Post

    Most non-Scandinavian Americans have never heard of St. Lucia.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Robin, it's true that the Scandinavians have a lovely way of celebraing St. Lucia's feast. But many have heard of her, only in America she is known as St. Lucy. Saints are called different variations in different countries. For example, all the French would call St. Therese just that but in the US most people say Theresa. Another example is with Josefina, in Spanish countries they call St. Joseph Jose.

    Lucy (Lucia) was an interesting saint...Italian too so you would like that! Here's some info: http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintl01.htm

    She is always represented holding a palm and her eyes... [img]eek.gif[/img] Better than Agatha though...

    Miki, I think the only nationally celebrated saint days in the US are Valentine's and St. Patricks but neither is celebrated religiously for the most part. Some also celebrate St. Nicholas day on Dec 6th I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •